Thyroid Test Guide for India
LabsAdvisor.com, a medical test specialist brings to you its complete guide on thyroid dysfunction and thyroid tests to understand the function of this very important gland in the body. Women are more than 10 times as likely as men to develop thyroid dysfunction. In India, the thyroid dysfunction has assumed epidemic proportions. Through this guide, we are attempting to answer the key questions that you may have related to thyroid gland and its functioning. The following are covered in this guide:
- What is thyroid?
- What are the reasons for thyroid dysfunction?
- What are the key abnormalities related to thyroid dysfunction – hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hyperthyroidism?
- Are there remedies that I can do at home to improve thyroid dysfunction?
- What are the tests recommended to check thyroid function?
- What is the cost of TSH test and thyroid function test?
- Who should get tested for Thyroid dysfunction?
- How can I make the booking of thyroid test?
You can read any section that is relevant for you. Reading the entire article in order is not required.
If you will like to book your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test or thyroid function test / thyroid profile, please call us on 08882668822. We can make the booking of thyroid tests across India at reasonable cost. The home collection will be arranged and the results can be delivered on your email or by courier.
If you will like a call back, please fill out the details below:
What is thyroid?
Thyroid is a gland in the human body located in the neck region. Thyroid gland produces thyroid hormone which is responsible for converting the food into energy i.e. metabolism of the body. The right amount of hormone generated by thyroid gland ensures that all body parts including heart, liver and kidneys perform their functions well.
Thyroid gland itself is managed by the pituitary gland which is a small gland located at the base of the brain. Pituitary gland produces a hormone called Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) which governs the functioning of the thyroid gland.
To test whether your thyroid gland is functioning well, the doctors generally prescribe TSH test in addition to the tests of the hormones that thyroid gland itself produces.
Get ₹200 voucher for your first medical test (including thyroid function test) at LabsAdvisor.com. Click to get the code now.
What are the reasons of thyroid dysfunction?
Anyone can develop thyroid dysfunction and the reasons may not be known. It generally impacts Indian women much more than Indian men. Middle aged women are more likely to have it but younger women are also at risk. There are broadly four factors which may contribute to thyroid dysfunction:
- Stress: Some studies have shown that there is a correlation between the stress one takes and the development of thyroid dysfunction. Stress leads to production of cortisol, a hormone, which impacts the production of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), which in turn leads to thyroid diseases. Read more about role of stress in thyroid dysfunction here.
- Certain foods should be avoided: Some foods like high sugar drinks, sugar substitutes and fat substitutes may be bad for thyroid function. Also, certain vegetables called cruciferous vegetables including cabbage, cauliflower, watercress and others should be cooked or steamed before eating. The raw form of these vegetables contain goitrogens which can impact thyroid function negatively. Read more about these here.
- Vitamin D deficiency: Vitamin D deficiency can have many negative impact on the body including impact of the function of thyroid gland. Given that vitamin D has many important function in the body and Indians are facing vitamin D deficiency epidemic, you may want to check your vitamin D levels. Read more about vitamin D deficiency here.
- Environmental factors: PFCs which are used in water-resistant clothing and non stick cookware may impact thyroid negatively if the exposure is high. Exposure to phthalates which are used in certain plastics should also be avoided. More information about the environment toxins can be found here.
What are diseases associated with thyroid?
There are various kinds of diseases that can impact thyroid gland. The key diseases are:
- Overactive thyroid gland: Overproduction of thyroid hormones results in a disorder called hyperthyroidism. This condition results in a very fast body metabolism and can have various negative consequences. Covered in detail in the next sections.
- Underactive thyroid gland: If the thyroid hormone production is lower than normal, hypothyroidism occurs. This conditions slows down body’s metabolism resulting in increased weight as one of the negative consequences. Covered in detail in a later chapter.
- Enlarged thyroid gland: This condition called goiter, can lead to an abnormal shaped thyroid gland. The gland may produce too little or too much of thyroid hormones.
Get ₹200 voucher for your first medical test at LabsAdvisor.com. Click to get the code now.
What is hypothyroidism?
Underproduction of thyroid hormone is called hypothyroidism. The following are the key symptoms of hypothyroidism:
- Weight gain without eating too much or without any change in exercise schedule
- Dry skin
- Low heart rate
- Feeling cold when others are feeling ok
According to some estimates, 1 in 10 Indians suffers from hypothyroidism while the awareness of this condition remains quite low. Read more here.
What is hyperthyroidism?
Overproduction of thyroid hormones in the body is called hyperthyroidism. The key symptoms of hyperthyroidism are:
- Muscle weakness
- Mood swings
- Nervousness or anxiety
- Heart palpitations or irregular heartbeat
- Trouble sleeping
- Dry skin
What are the remedies of thyroid dysfunction?
If the thyroid disease is caught in time, medication can help in management of the condition. One should always consult the doctor to ensure that right treatment plan is followed. According to certain studies, the following steps can help with proper thyroid functioning:
- Reduce stress: Since stress produces cortisol which can have a negative impact on thyroid function, reducing stress through meditation, positive thoughts or changing your environment may help in thyroid management.
- Supplements: Supplements like iodine and vitamins C, E and D can help strengthen thyroid function if thyroid is caused by the deficiency of these nutrients.
- Drop soy products and gluten: Some studies suggest that soy and gluten impact thyroid function negatively. Reducing these ingredients can help in thyroid function.
To know more about what you can do to manage thyroid diseases, please check here.
What are the tests recommended to check Thyroid Function?
The following tests are generally recommended to check thyroid function:
- TSH or Thyroid Stimulating Hormone – TSH is produced by pituitary gland and stimulates the production of thyroid hormones produced by thyroid gland.
- T3 – one of the hormones produced by thyroid gland
- T4 – one of the hormones produced by thyroid gland
The above tests are generally tests in the package called thyroid function test or thyroid profile.
What is the cost of thyroid function test?
The cost of thyroid function test or thyroid profile can vary depending on the city and the lab you choose. We have listed below the cost of thyroid test that is available with labsadvisor.com in various cities. You can click on the links to book your test online. LabsAdvisorLabsAdvisor can make your thyroid function test booking in Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida and over 150 other cities in India.
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test||Min Cost|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Delhi||₹ 270|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Gurgaon||₹ 320|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Noida||₹ 320|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Mumbai*||₹ 320|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Hyderabad*||₹ 320|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Faridabad*||₹ 320|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Bengaluru*||₹ 320|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Ghaziabad*||₹ 270|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Navi Mumbai*||₹ 320|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Chandigarh*||₹ 320|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Chennai*||₹ 320|
|Cost of Thyroid Function Test in Any City of India*||₹ 320|
*: Home collection charges are included.
|Cost of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) Test||Min Cost|
|Cost of TSH Test in Delhi||₹ 160|
|Cost of TSH Test in Gurgaon||₹ 180|
|Cost of TSH Test in Noida||₹ 200|
|Cost of TSH Test in Mumbai||₹ 206|
|Cost of TSH Test in Hyderabad||₹ 225|
|Cost of TSH Test in Faridabad||₹ 188|
|Cost of TSH Test in Bengaluru||₹ 175|
|Cost of TSH Test in Ghaziabad||₹ 90|
|Cost of TSH Test in Navi Mumbai||₹ 206|
|Cost of TSH Test in Chandigarh||₹ 180|
|Cost of TSH Test in Chennai||₹ 170|
|Cost of TSH Test in Any City of India||₹ 270|
Please call us on 08882668822 to book thyroid function test or TSH test now.
Get ₹200 voucher for your first medical test at LabsAdvisor.com. Click to get the code now.
Who should get tested for thyroid dysfunction?
We recommend that thyroid function test be done as a part of the annual preventive health tests. For women aged over 40 this test should be done annually. For men and women who have symptoms of thyroid dysfunction, thyroid test should be done immediately. Studies in India have shown that most people do not realise that they have thyroid disorders because the symptoms are general in nature. However, it is important to catch the thyroid disorder quickly to be able to manage it well.
How can I book thyroid test?
Call us now on 08882668822 to make the booking across India. You can also fill the form given at the start of this article to get a call back.
Other relevant articles to read:
LabsAdvisor.com is working hard to bring you information and transparency about the medical tests. You may want to refer to other articles given below:
- Complete guide to MRI tests in Delhi / NCR
- Complete guide to liver function tests in India
- Complete guide to DNA Paternity Tests in India
- Vitamin D test and deficiency for India
- CT Scan cost in Delhi / NCR
- Ultrasound scan cost in Delhi / NCR
- X-Ray Cost in Delhi / NCR
- Full body PET Scan Cost in Delhi / Hyderabad / Mumbai
- Book Mammography in Delhi / NCR
- Book Bone Density Test in Delhi / NCR