Comprehensive Guide to Holter Monitor Test in India / Holter Test Cost in India
LabsAdvisor endeavours to give you complete information on your lab tests so that you understand your tests better and be well prepared. Here is a comprehensive guide to Holter monitor test. The details of the test are covered under following topics:
- What is a Holter Monitor?
- Why do you need a Holter Test?
- What are the uses of Holter Test?
- What is the procedure followed in a Holter Test?
- What are the precautions to be taken while wearing Holter Monitor?
- How do you get the results of the Holter Monitor?
- What are the advantages of Holter Monitor?
- What are the limitations of the Holter Monitor?
- What is the cost of Holter Test in India?
To book a Holter test with LabsAdvisor.com, give us a call or WhatsApp at 08882668822. If you will like a call back, Please fill out the form given below.
What is a Holter Monitor?
A holter monitor is a battery operated device used to record the electrical activity of your heart continuously over a period of 24 to 48 hours. It is a small portable device, about the size of a small camera and has two to three electrodes attached.
The sticky patches at the end of the electrodes are stuck to your chest to catch the electric signals from your heart. The holter monitor has a built-in memory that stores beat by beat signal from your heart. Thus, holter device is also called as ambulatory electrocardiography device.
Why do you need a Holter Monitor?
A regular electrocardiogram lets your doctor evaluate your heart condition during the time it is carried out. But abnormal heart rhythm and cardiac symptoms may not be present at that time. Conditions like arrhythmia of the heart, palpitations, dizziness occur suddenly and subside after some time.
It is difficult to diagnose your heart condition if the standard ECG is not taken during the occurrence of these symptoms. Hence, doctors advise holter monitoring to evaluate your heartbeat over an extended time while you do your normal routine activities.
What are the uses of Holter Test?
The holter test is used for following purposes:
- To detect arrhythmias of the heart.
- To find reasons for dizziness, fatigue, palpitations or fainting.
- To detect slow heart beat rate or fast beat rate.
- To monitor chest pain that does not occur due to exercise,
- To check if the pacemaker on you is working properly.
- To analyse the effectiveness of the medications given to you for heart conditions like cardiac arrhythmia.
- To assess the risk of cardiac events after a heart attack or any other heart condition you are suffering from.
What is the procedure followed in Holter Testing?
The holter testing is a non-invasive procedure with no hazards involved. You need to book an appointment with a lab or doctor’s clinic to have your device fitted. At the lab you will be asked to remove all the jewellery or other accessories worn on the upper part of your body. If you have a hairy chest, you may need to shave it. You will be asked to remove the clothes from your upper body in order to stick the electrode patches on your chest.
The chest is cleansed with an alcohol solution to ensure a better attachment of the sticky ECG electrodes. You should inform your doctor in advance if you are allergic to adhesives. You will be given instructions that explain how to use the monitor and how to attach the patches if they fall off. You will be carrying the holter monitor in a pouch around your neck or tied to your waist.
You will have to keep a log, in a diary, of all the activities you do while wearing the monitor and also the symptoms you may have felt during the test. if you feel symptoms like chest pain, shortness of breath or dizziness; note down the time of occurrence and the activity you are doing at that time.It is very important that you accurately record your symptoms and activities.
The doctor will compare your diary with the ECG recorded by the holter monitor to assess your heart condition. Once the recommended monitoring period is over, you need to go back to the lab to return the device. The nurse or technician at the lab will remove the electrodes from your chest. You may feel a slight discomfort when the adhesive patch is removed from your chest.
What are the precautions to be taken while wearing Holter Monitor?
You can carry out your usual activities with following exceptions:
- Do not bathe, swim or shower while wearing the holter monitor.
- Do not have your x-rays done.
- Stay away from high voltage area, metal detectors, strong magnets or microwaves.
- Also avoid the use of electrical appliances such as hair dryers, electric tooth brushes or electric blankets.
- Keep your cell phones and portable music players at least 6 inches away from you.
- If you exercise, do so at a cool place so that you don’t sweat too much. Sweating may cause the sensors to lose their stickiness and fall off.
What are the advantages of Holter Test?
- It is non-invasive, pain free test with no hazards involved.
- It can be used on an outpatient basis. You can carry out your normal activities while your heart is being monitored.
- It takes approximately 10 to 15 minutes to apply the monitor and less than 5 minutes to remove it.
- The holter monitor records ECG continuously providing an overall picture of the activity of your heart without you putting any extra effort.
- Advanced holter monitor can record data for nearly two weeks.
How do you get the results of the Holter Monitor?
The recordings on the holter monitor will be printed and given to you. Book an appointment with your doctor to show him the reports. You need to take your activity diary along with the reports. The doctor will compare the results and the notes in your diary to assess your heart condition.
Abnormal results may mean cardiac arrhythmias. Changes may mean that your heart is not getting enough oxygen.
The monitor may also detect conduction block, a condition in which the trial impulse is either delayed or does not continue into the ventricles of the heart.
Sometimes your doctor may not be able to diagnose your condition on the basis of holter monitor readings especially if you didn’t get any symptoms during the test. The doctor then may recommend an event recorder which can be worn for a longer period of time than the standard holter monitor. the Event recorder is similar to holter monitor but it requires you to push a record button when you feel any symptoms.
What are the limitations of a Holter Test?
- If a patient does not log in the symptoms correctly, it becomes difficult to correlate and identify the heart conditions. Abnormalities in the heart rate need to be correlated to the occurrence of the symptoms.
- Holter monitors are more effective on the patients who get symptoms almost daily.
- Smoking and certain medications can interfere with the data recorded.
- Sweating may cause the electrodes to fall off from the chest.
- Sometimes, the skin gets inflamed or irritated due to continuous application of the electrodes.
What is the cost of Holter Test in India?
The Holter Test Cost varies between ₹ 1500 to ₹ 6000. Depending on whether you want to go for the Holter monitoring in the lab or for 24 hours or 48 hours at home, the cost varies. You may also have to pay some deposit to the lab for carrying the holter device with you for 24 or 48 hour monitoring.
With LabsAdvisor.com, you get a discount on the market price of holter test. Click on the links below to book your test online or give us a call on 08882668822.
|Name of Holter Test (You may click on the link to know price and book test)||LabsAdvisor Min. Cost of Holter Test available in India||Market Price of Holter Test|
|Holter Test Cost in Delhi||₹ 1500||₹ 5000|
|Holter 24 Hrs Test Cost in Delhi||₹ 1500||₹ 5000|
|Holter 48 Hrs Test Cost in Delhi||₹ 2700||₹ 6000|
|Holter Test Cost in Gurgaon||₹ 1500||₹ 5000|
|Holter 24 Hrs Test Cost in Gurgaon||₹ 1500||₹ 5000|
|Holter 48 Hrs Test Cost in Gurgaon||₹ 2700||₹ 6000|
|Holter Test Cost in Noida||₹ 1500||₹ 5000|
|Holter 24 Hrs Test Cost in Noida||₹ 1500||₹ 5000|
|Holter Test Cost in Hyderabad||₹ 2800||₹ 3500|
How to book a Holter Test in India?
Please give us a call on 08882668822 to book your Holter test in India. You can also download our Android App ‘LabsAdvisor’ from Google Play store to book the test online. If you want a call back, please fill out the form given at the start of the article.
Get ₹200 voucher for your first medical test booking at LabsAdvisor.com.
There are some other articles that you may find useful, listed below: