Hysterosalpingogram / HSG Test in India HSG Test Cost in India
This is a comprehensive guide to HSG test in India. LabsAdvisor.com, India’s leading medical test platform, helps patients connect with the right labs. It aims to provide its users with detailed information about different medical procedure. This guide on HSG is a part of that effort.
The guide covers the following topics:
- What is HSG Test?
- What is the cost of HSG Test in India?
- What is HSG Procedure?
- Do I feel pain during HSG test?
- How do I prepare for HSG test?
- What are the risks associated with HSG Test?
- How do I choose my lab / hospital and book the test?
You may read the sections in any order.
What is HSG Test?
An HSG or a Hysterosalpingogram is a special kind of X-Ray which is used to evaluate fertility in females. This examination is a radiological procedure wherein the uterine cavity along with the shape and patency of the fallopian tubes is investigated. It checks if the fallopian tubes are blocked or not. In case they are, it is not possible for a female to conceive, as the egg cannot be released and hence not fertilized.
An HSG is an outpatient procedure and is generally done in the radiology department of a hospital or the outpatient radiology facility.
You might be prescribed this test in case you’ve been having trouble conceiving. Also, in case a patient has been through two or more miscarriages, an HSG test may be prescribed, as recurring miscarriages can happen because of an abnormal uterine shape. Usually, 10-15% women go through recurring miscarriages because of an abnormally shaped uterus.
What is The Cost of HSG Test in India?
HSG Test cost varies between ₹ 2000 to ₹ 4125 in varies cities of India. Different labs charge different prices for the test. You can book through LabsAdvisor.com and get a discount on the market price of HSG Test.
See below HSG Test Cost in India for key cities:
|HSG Test in India||LabsAdvisor Min. Cost of HSG Test in India||Market Price of HSG Test|
|HSG Test Cost in Delhi||₹ 2000||₹ 6000|
|HSG Test Cost in Noida||₹ 2000||₹ 4000|
|HSG Test Cost in Gurgaon||₹ 2000||₹ 6000|
|HSG Test Cost in Mumbai||₹ 4125||₹ 5500|
|HSG Test Cost in Hyderabad||₹ 2850||₹ 2000|
|HSG Test Cost in Chennai||₹ 2125||₹ 3000|
|HSG Test Cost in Bangalore||₹ 3060||₹ 3500|
To check the complete list of cities in India where we offer HSG Test, check here
Get ₹200 voucher for your first medical test booking at LabsAdvisor.com.
What is the HSG Test Procedure?
Before your doctor begins the HSG procedure, you may be given a sedative which will help you as well as your uterus muscles to relax. This is done to avoid cramping during the investigation.
During the HSG Test Procedure:
- You will then be asked to drape a gown around your waist and lie down on your back on a flat surface, bringing up your feet in a “frog leg” position.
- Your doctor will then place a metal instrument called speculum in your vagina to visualize the cervix.
- A soft and thin catheter will then be put in through the cervical opening into the patient’s uterine cavity. The doctor, alternately may also use a tenaculum which will be placed on the cervix after which a narrow metal cannula will be inserted through the cervical opening.
- Following this, a contrast dye will be injected through the catheter or cannula into the uterine cavity. An x-ray picture will be taken while injecting the contrast and then one again when the contrast is fully injected to a point that the tubes fill and begin to spill into the abdominal cavity. Pictures will be continuously taken during this “fill and spill” process.
- As the tubes spill the dye, you may be asked to roll onto one side for an oblique X-Ray image to further delineate the anatomy.
The HSG procedure lasts for not more than half hour and is performed while you’re awake, without any anesthesia. After the entire procedure, the instruments will be removed and you will be asked to stay in the same position for a few minutes, in order to recover from the cramping caused by the contrast.
HSG Test Pain
A patient might experience pain when the dye is injected into your body. This could be because your fallopian tubes are blocked.
When the dye is injected, you may be asked to often change your position and hold your breath for clear and accurate pictures. This can get a little uncomfortable with the instruments clamped to your body.
The amount of pain you experience during the entire examination completely depends on what problems you’re facing.
You may ask for your doctor’s help if need be.To book an HSG Test appointment across India, click here.
Preparation For An HSG Test
An HSG should be performed after your period but before ovulation to prevent using X-Rays in case you conceive. 2-5 days after your menstrual cycle is the ideal time to get the test done.
Before the test, you may be required to sign a consent form to ascertain that you understand the risks associated with the procedure.
You must also tell your doctor if:
– You could be pregnant
– You are suffering from a pelvic or sexually transmitted infection
– You are allergic to contrast or iodine dye
– You are suffering from excessive bleeding problems or are on blood thinners
– You have had a history of diabetes or kidney problems as the iodine dye used during the procedure carry the risk of affecting a patient’s kidneys. Additionally, if you have a history of kidney problems, your doctor may need to perform a few blood tests like blood urea nitrogen before performing the actual test; this is generally done to see if your kidneys are functioning well.
It is advised to carry a sanitary pad with you when you for the HSG examination as you could experience some leakage of the X-Ray dye along with slight bleeding after the procedure.
Speak with your doctor before the test, disclose all medication that you have been taking and be sure to discuss all your concerns.
There could be reason that may stop you from taking the test. This may be:
- If your fallopian tube has a spasm. It can make your tube look like it’s blocked
- If your physician is unable to place the catheter in your uterus
Make sure to not schedule the examination if you could be pregnant as the X-Ray could adversely affect the developing fetus.
Risks Associated With HSG
There is always a small risk associated with X-Ray. Although the amount of radiation used during the procedure is not much, there is a chance of cell and tissue damage.
Although less than 1%, there is also a slight possibility of a pelvic infection after the test. Chances can be higher in case you have had an infection before. If you experience fever or excessive pain after the test, be sure to call your doctor.
In very rare cases, in case the dye used is oil-based, the oil can leak into the blood. This can cause blockage of blow flow into the lungs.
If a patient has numerous sexual partners or is otherwise at risk for sexually transmitted diseases, she might be screened with cervical cultures before an HSG. Some doctors may even prescribe antibiotics in this case for a few days before the examination to reduce any risk of infection.
After The HSG Exam
You might feel slight cramps and light spotting after the examination. Generally, there are no precautions needed and one can easily get back to the usual daily routine.
Make sure to call your doctor in case:
- You experience heavy vaginal bleeding
- Severe Belly Pain
The results of HSG can be produced within a day. If the reports are normal if the dye flows freely from the uterus through the tubes, spilling into the belly normally. This means that no tumors or growths are seen in the uterus.
The reports are abnormal if the fallopian tubes in the report can be seen scarred, damaged or blocked. In case the tubes are blocked, there is no chance of the woman to get pregnant as the egg cannot meet the sperm. If the uterus is abnormal, it may show tissue that divides the uterus. Also, abnormal growths such as polyps or fibroids may be present.
Many might feel that the dye test can improve their chances of getting pregnant. Pregnancy chances have slight possibility of improvement in the first months following an HSG. This is because the flushing of tubes may open a minor blockage or clean out the debris that prevented pregnancy.
Studies also suggest that using oil based dye give out an increased chance of pregnancy when compared to water-based dyes. However, water-based dyes are used by doctors in most cases.
How Can I Book My HSG Test in India ?
To book your HSG Test in India please give us a call on 09811166231. We have tied up with the best labs in the country. Not only are you assured of the best test quality, we also get you discounted rates. You can also download our Android App ‘LabsAdvisor’ from Google Play store to book the test online. If you will like a call back, please fill out the form given at the start of the article.
There are some other articles that may find useful for you, listed below: