Guide on Medical Reasons for Being Underweight or Sudden Loss of Weight
Do you feel you are too skinny for your age or you are unable to put on proper weight?An underweight person is approximately 15 – 20% below the normal weight in comparison to the weight and height of the average normal person. In addition to losing self confidence, people who are underweight, feel exhausted or tired easily. In many cases, lower body weight is related to lethargy, weak immune system and in some cases, even with heart disease.
In this article we give a brief intro to weight loss and explain the top medical reasons due to which weight loss occurs. To help people diagnose the exact reason for weight loss, we have explained the complete underweight package for blood tests. These tests can help in diagnosing the medical condition attributed towards weight loss.
We will cover the following sub topics in this article:
- Top 7 Reasons of Being Underweight
- Different ways in which you can improve your body weight
- Medical Tests that can help you find the medical reason for being underweight
- What is the cost of Underweight Blood Test Package ?
- How to book the test packages with LabsAdvisor? – an easy method to book your underweight blood test package through call or online.
Top 7 Reasons for Being Underweight in Indians
Reason 1: Hyperthyroidism:
Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland of the body produces excess thyroid. Excess production of thyroid hormones lead to faster metabolism in the body and significant weight loss. Due to this condition, a person can experience changes in the normal functioning of the body, including changes in the body temperature and heart rate. A few other symptoms which are seen in hyperthyroidism patients are tiredness, bulging which is present at the base of the neck, increase in the body temperature.
To know more about the function of thyroid gland, check here.
Reason 2: Diabetes Mellitus & Insipidus (type 1 & 2):
Diabetes is also seen as one of the factors of losing weight in human beings. Loss in weight can occur due to high blood sugar, muscle breakdown or dehydration of the body. People suffering from type 1 Diabetes more commonly suffer from weight loss, however it is also seen in people suffering from type 2 Diabetes as well.
Type 1 diabetic patients don’t produce insulin and type 2 patients either don’t produce it or their body doesn’t properly respond to it. Insulin is required in the body to transport the glucose (obtained by the food you eat) to other cells and parts of the body. In diabetes patients, the different body parts don’t get adequate amount of glucose.
Reason 3: Cancer
Cancer is also related with loss of weight as the patient suffers from loss of appetite and the inability to gain weight. Many forms of cancer are associated with relatively rapid weight loss.
Reason 4: HIV positive patients
Anyone who is suffering from HIV may see excessive loss of weight. AIDS is also referred to as the ‘slim disease’ which stops the body to gain any further weight and leads to considerable loss of weight. Apart from weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, difficulty in swallowing food, ulcers in the tongue are few of the symptoms. If anyone is suffering from these symptoms, should get the blood test done as early possible.
Reason 5: Anemia
Lack of vitamin B12 in the body causes a condition called anemia, meaning lower amount of iron present in the blood. Close to 50% women in India suffer from the condition of anemia. Patients suffering from anemia experience loss of appetite, which means they lose weight. Vitamin B12 blood test can be used to diagnose if anemia is caused by the deficiency of this vital vitamin.
Reason 6: Depression
Some people also lose weight due to depression or the tendency to think ‘life is not worth living.’ This is because they have the urge to keep lying on the bed or couch all day, and not involving themselves in any physical activity, not even simple forms of work at home. This further reduces the interest of the person to eat. Therefore, a person suffering from depression loses a lot of weight.
Reason 7: Secondary Factors
There are some other secondary factors associated with loss of weight.
- Excessive exercise: Exercise is a good method of being in shape and reducing in weight. However the body’s demand for carbohydrates, proteins and fats increases with the increase of physical activity. If the body’s demand for additional nutrients and minerals is not fulfilled, the person will suffer from loss of weight.
- Adverse effect with medication: At times, some medicines have side effects on people. Some medicines reduces the appetite of the person which causes weight loss.
- Enzyme deficiency: Deficiency of digestive enzymes present in the body or stomach acids can also obstruct proper digestion thus leading to weight loss.
A sudden loss in weight can be diagnosed by proper blood test to determine thyroid, diabetes, any kind of enzyme deficiency, HIV, Coeliac disease or any other enzyme condition.
How to improve your weight?
There are various ways of improving your body weight:
- Exercise and food balance: If you are undergoing moderate to strenuous physical activity, the body’s demand for nutrients, vitamins and minerals will also increase. Hence you need to increase your diet in accordance with your physical activity.
- De-stress: If something is worrying you more than required, talk to some one or take professional help to resolve the matter.
- Check ongoing medication: Get ongoing medication checked with a physician to see if it is reducing your appetite through its side effect.
- Regular health check up: Since weight loss can be a sign of one of the few health disorders, health check up is the right way to diagnose any problem.
LabsAdvisor underweight blood test package will diagnose you for many medical conditions that may be leading to weight loss. Complete information can be checked on the website www.labsadvisor.com or simply give a call at 09811166231. We can book your tests in many cities of India, including Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and Hyderabad.
The complete ‘Underweight Blood Test Package’ includes three tests:
1. Thyroid Function Test: Thyroid function test can detect the presence of hyperthyroidism, a condition which causes loss of weight in patients. The thyroid function test includes the measurement of T3, T4, TSH and T3RU. Hyperthyroidism is diagnosed with TSH is below the normal level, which has a normal range of 0.5 – 6 mU/l. FT4 which is also checked during the test, has a normal range between 0.7 – 1.9 ng/dl. Click to read more about Thyroid Function Test.
Requirement: Can be done any time of the day; does not require fasting
2. HBA1c: Used for the detection of Diabetes Mellitus, i.e. Type 2, which is another cause of weight loss in patients. Haemoglobin A1c has normal range between 4% – 5.6%. The reference range going from 5.7% – 6.4% shows pre – diabetic (people on the verge of diabetes/ having higher chances of getting diabetic). Level of 6.5% and higher indicates diabetes. You can read here more about this test.
Requirements: No fasting required
3. Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 test detects the amount of vitamin B12 present in the blood. Deficiency of the vitamin causes anemia. Less than 200 pg/mL indicates deficiency of vitamin B12. The elder adults who obtain value between 200 – 500 pg/mL are also categorized in the symptom range. With a large number of people, especially women suffering from anemia, you can get the Vitamin B12 test done at regular intervals. Read more about Vitamin B12 deficiency Click here.
4. Iron Test: Iron test helps to diagnose the deficiency of iron in the body. Deficiency of iron causes anemia which leads to nutritional deficiency leading the person to being underweight.
What is the cost of Underweight Blood Test Package ?
|Underweight Package in India||LabsAdvisor Min. Cost of Underweight Package in India||Market Price of Underweight Package|
|Health Check – Underweight Package Cost in Delhi||₹ 900||₹ 3050|
|Health Check – Underweight Package Cost in Noida||₹ 900||₹ 3050|
|Health Check – Underweight Package Cost in Gurgaon||₹ 1500||₹ 3050|
How to book the Underweight Blood Test Package at LabsAdvisor?
To book the underweight blood test package with labsadvisor.com you can either give a call or simply whats app at 09811166231. In case of a call back, you can fill in the online form. For the first test booking at the portal, you are eligible for a ₹ 200 discount.